Murals & More is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to utilizing local architecture as the backdrop for public art in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. In 2020, Murals & More is partnering with the Downtown SSMID Commission, a self-supported municipal improvement district focused on community development, streetscape and beautification improvements, to add public art celebrating the Connect CR Project to Cedar Rapids’ downtown.
Our organizations are requesting a proposal for a painted mural to be displayed on the outside wall of the 2nd Avenue Parking Garage. This mural should contain artistic elements that highlight or suggest the ConnectCR Project.
Not only are we open to a nontraditional use of art applications – we encourage it! All art forms and mediums are acceptable as long as they can exist in the elements, including Iowa’s harsh winters.
About the ConnectCR Project
ConnectCR plans to revitalize the urban Cedar Lake and build a pedestrian/trail bridge over the Cedar River near the NewBo and Czech Village neighborhoods in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. ConnectCR will connect the Cedar Valley Nature Trail to the cross-country American Discovery Trail and the Great American Rail-Trail.
The selected mural will be installed on a portion of the outer walls of the 2nd Avenue Parking Garage, located on 320 2nd Ave SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401.
- Dimensions: 47’ wide by 69’ tall
- Structure Material: Brick
- The mural should have a general theme through artistic representation of the spirit of the ConnectCR Project.
- The mural should not emphasize the 2008 flood in Cedar Rapids.
- Artwork should fill the majority of the space, but does not have to cover the entire surface area of the structure.
- The mural should be distinctive through use of design, color, and subject matter.
- The content of the mural should not serve as any sort of promotion or branding for any business or organization.
- The design will be suitable and acceptable for public viewing of all ages.
- The artist is required to apply a protective coating/sealant.
Murals & More and the Downtown SSMID Commission request the first draft of mural artwork by March 20, 2020. The selected artwork will be chosen by committees from Murals & More and the Downtown SSMID Commission. As the artwork will be displayed on a publicly owned building, final approval will come from the City of Cedar Rapids’ Visual Arts Commission. This timeline is subject to change. If the unveiling must be moved to a different date, the artist will be contacted and a mutually agreed upon date will be set.
- February 19, 2020: Request for proposals issued.
- March 20, 2020 at 5:00 PM CST: Proposal deadline.
- March 21-30, 2020: Review of proposals. Artists may be contacted for interviews.
- April 1, 2020: Selected artist chosen and notified. Non-finalists will be contacted via email.
- July 31, 2020: Public art unveiling event and ribbon cutting ceremony. Artwork is to be installed and completed before this date.
The project budget is not to exceed $54,000 for the mural. The project budget includes any artist(s) fee, supplies, assistant fees, installation, and all other costs. No further financial support for this project will be given past $54,000. Everything must be outlined in the budget and shall not exceed $54,000. Any Boom Truck/Lift/Scaffolding needs must also be included in the budget.
All proposals must contain each of the following components in the order listed (see below). All components of the proposal are to be saved into a single PDF document that is printable on 8.5” X 11” white paper. Proposals shall be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each proposal must include:
- Artist’s contact information and artist statement.
- Project narrative not exceeding 500 words.
- Full-color drawing illustration of the concept.
- Supplemental project information, including materials/medium to be used and process of completion.
- Itemized budget. This should include quotes for pain or vinyl, supplies, artist fees, scaffolding rental, sealant, and any other associated costs.
- Timetable with a completion date no later than July 31, 2020.
Complete proposal, as well as any additional questions or concerns, maybe submitted to:
Artist Selection Chair