CALL FOR ARTISTS
Sacred Cow Tavern, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Murals & More is seeking artists to submit their portfolio to be considered for the installation of a painted mural on the northwest facade (along 10th Ave SE) of Sacred Cow Tavern, at 1004 7th St SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401. Candidates from a diverse array of backgrounds (i.e. race, gender, religion, sexual orientation) are encouraged to apply.
Murals & More will select no more than three artists as final candidates based on responses to this call for artists. Final candidates may then submit original artwork as a proposal for the installation. Final candidates will be paid $250 upon submission of their proposal.
The final submission selected will be offered the work and enter into an agreement with Murals & More for the stipend listed below.
Project Location Overview
Sacred Cow Tavern has burst into the restaurant and bar scene in Cedar Rapids as a popular neighborhood spot with a diverse crowd of patrons since its opening on October 31, 2022. The 1909 building that houses Sacred Cow Tavern is is in a prime location, right on the perimeter of the Downtown District, MedQ, and NewBo neighborhoods. Next door is the newly constructed Linn County Public Health building and The Society of St. Vincent de Paul building. Sacred Cow Tavern will be a popular gathering spot for the community for years to come.
The dimensions of the wall are 70 feet, 6 inches (length) by 18 feet, 6 inches (height), equal to a total area of approximately 1,300 square feet. The surface is painted wood lap siding.
This project is structured to award a stipend to the selected artist, from which the artist should expect to cover all costs associated with the project, including travel, lodging, paint, materials, rentals, etc. Murals & More will work with the selected artist to help minimize costs through local partnerships with vendors and lodging arrangements.
In addition to the $250 submission paid to the final candidates, the selected artist will receive a stipend of up to $15,000 based on their proposal.
- June 9, 2023 Call for artists opens.
- June 21, 2023: Call for artists closes.
- June 23, 2023: Three artist candidates selected, all applicants notified.
- July 12, 2023: Final candidates paid submissions due.
- July 17, 2023: Final submission selected, applicant notified.
- Work begins after final submission is selected and upon signed agreements. The project must be completed no later than September 16, 2023
- Artwork should fill the majority of the space, but does not have to cover the entire surface area of the wall.
- The mural should be distinctive through the use of design, color, and subject matter.
- The content of the mural must not serve as any sort of promotion or branding for any business or organization.
- The design must be appropriate for audiences of all ages.
- The artist is required to apply a protective coating/sealant over the final artwork.
Artist Submission Form
Thanks for your interest in this project! We are excited to review your portfolio to consider you as a finalist for this project. Please submit at least either one or both types of portfolio to showcase your previous work:
- online portfolio (personal website or social media, etc.), and/or
- digital portfolio file(s).
Please keep in mind, we are not asking for new original artwork at this stage of the selection process.